Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 3 Question. Family

Every family has their own problems but no matter what they will always love and support you. In Sarah Vowell’s Take the Cannoli, Sarah presents her family in many different aspects of life. Her father, a gun lover is an opinionated republican who cares greatly about his family. Sarah has a twin sister and a mother as well who she loves deeply. Her family is strongly Christian and abides by Christianity heavily. Her family shares some of the same views and interests but they also don’t agree on everything. Sarah’s family wanted to watch a John Wayne movie, but Sarah did not have any interest in watching the movie at all. Mostly because Sarah does not find guns or what her father uses them for to be an interest of hers, but is willing to spend time participating with her dad to spend time with him. This action shows that they may not have the same interests but support one another and love each other so much that they would go do and actively participates in something they do not enjoy much. Sarah’s family is supportive of her song writing and that helps her write music, but never doubting her in what she loves to do. Even though she may be a democrat and her father is a republican, and don’t necessarily agree on one thing about politics they don’t let that effect their relationship greatly.

My family in some ways relates to Sarah’s family by the strong morality of respect for different points of views and supporting one another no matter what. Sarah’s family joins activity that may not be their short of thing but will do it for a family member who enjoys it. My family is similar in that aspect because we are all so different and no one could support us more than our own family. My brother plays football and I never missed a game just like he would come to my dance performances and competitions. They were not our favorite events and places to go to but would enjoy the family time we got out of it from being there. My family is split in sports just like how Sarah’s family is split in politics. My brother and dad are die hard Stealer fans while my other brother, mom, and I are die hard Giant fans. We are good sports about everything but when it’s game time we could argue just how Sarah and her father argue over politics.

I agree with how Sarah represents her dad by having different interests but yet they are short of the same person. I could relate that with my own father because that is exactly how we are. She is not as close with her father and sister as she would like to be considering her sister calls Sarah the worst twin to exist. I’m closest with my brothers and mom but my father and I aren’t as close as we would like to be, which will hopefully change in the future. Our families are similar but no one’s family is exactly the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment