Monday, July 23, 2012

Helllloooo lovely people! my name is Sommer Rodriguez, and I am looking forward to successfully completing Columbia’s bridge program this summer, along with gaining many new friends and great head start. I knew I would end up at Columbia eventually because I think this is the PERFECT school for me. I grew up here in Chicago, so the city is nothing new.  Something new that is weighing on me is meeting completely new people. I like to think of myself as a social being, but there’s something about coming to a brand new school with brand new people that makes me anxious. I usually keep a tight knit group of friends so if I'm quiet now, I WONT BE FOR LONG. After all I am a theatre major haha.  I will be studying Theatre here at Columbia, and I look forward to meeting new people who are outside my major.
                My high school experience was a roller coaster ride.  I know that sounds super cliché, but believe me it was!  It wasn’t until my junior year when I really started to enjoy my high school experienced. I went to a Catholic High school in the city called Gordon Tech. My freshman and sophomore year were the hardest, being a victim of cyber bullying by a group of girls. Because of this I never wanted to go to school which caused my grades to drop rapidly. Looking back, I realize that that experience made me a stronger person and it introduced me to my passion ever since I was a little girl again; Theatre. From the end of my sophomore year to my senior year I was surrounded by the most amazing and supportive group of people that were in my theatre department. My mentors and teachers taught me not to let anyone’s opinions or criticism get to me. For the first time I felt strong and in control of my life. Being on stage made everything worth it, and I know I would probably not be here today if it weren’t for the theatre department and my teachers. I now look back at my high school experience and think positively and look at it as a growing period. I’ve now gained the confidence I need to be successful in all my endeavors.  I am so excited to be a part of the Theatre department here at Columbia and I look forward to gaining the most amazing of experiences and to put my best foot forward and LIVE MY LIFE.
A little more about me if you don't want to read all that jazz: :)
 Here is the Cheetah Girls because they're great. duh

My best friend Lizzy and I.



Thank you guys so much for reading :)


4 comments:

  1. I love your blog Sommer! What I like about it the most was when you say that you started to really like your high school career when it was your junior and senior year. Then you go in to talking about why you didn't like your first two years.

    Sommer! You are a very strong person and you took that negativity in turn it into something that is positive. We will be good wholesome friends because you remind me of myself. Good Luck in the Bridge Program and hopefully I can see you around here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy things turned around for you!! (:

    ReplyDelete