Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Ye' Speaks on Lost in Place

When Professor Smith was reading out all the books in class that we had a choice of reading I began to ponder about the type of books we’d be reading. I know the reading level was much higher than some of the books we read in high school and I thanked god in the back of my head there wasn’t any British literature books. Frankenstein is my favorite book but I have a distained taste for British Literature. As he read off the books, I immediately became hooked on Lost in Place by Mark Salzman.
The book talks about how a young boy was watching Kung Fu movies and was so influenced by them he devoted his life towards becoming a Zen Master. In the few chapters I’ve read so far, the boy has already made extremely drastic career decisions going from Zen Master to Martial Artist to Astronaut. It’s a very good book and I’ve enjoyed it up to this point. The reason why I chose the book my Salzman is because Lost in Place, the very title itself speaks to young people like me. Lost in Place is how I’ve felt most of my life because sometimes I feel like I just don’t belong in certain situations or places with people I don’t really like being around. When making my college decision it was between Missouri and Columbia. After visiting both schools and being around Mizzou’s campuses for a couple days I knew I’d only be going there to please everyone else and not for myself which is why I chose Columbia.
Lost in Place reminds me of one of my favorite songs off of Kanye West LP My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The song Lost in the World talks about how Kanye felt when he was in a certain place. He goes on to sing about how unhappy he was and how he needed to leave that place. The story has that theme in which the child wants to leave the suburbia of Ridgefield, Connecticut because he knows there is nothing else there for him. Kanye Speaks on Lost in Place
The book so far is a good read if you want to make a literary connection to how people struggle to find themselves in this world. Although the boy in the book took only 3 years of age when he was still a toddler to know what he wanted to with life. It often takes people close to 50 maybe even 60 years to find out who they really are and Lost in Place help examine the process of growing up and finding out who you truly are as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment