Tuesday, July 24, 2012

They Poured Fire response 1

The book I choose to read was They Poured Fire on us from the Sky.  The reason why I choose this book is because I’ve been to Africa before and the lay of the land is a lot different than it looks on T.V. The weather is much hotter than it looks as well. In the book I found interesting how educated they were when they came to United States and how fascinating they grew up in Africa before all the war had started and before they had to cross miles of land at such a young age and how they survived I knew would intrigue me.                                                                                     
They each talked about their own personal stories and most of it was explain how their tribe came to be and how things were with their dad and their siblings. Also a key point in the book to me was that just because a woman isn’t the first wife doesn’t mean that they aren’t highly respected among the ones before her.  Another part I like in the book is the honest of Alfonso; he knows that he was a trouble maker and always complain. Which brought me back to the beginning of the book when the lady (Judy) that was their mentor, when she wrote that Alfonso was the quiet one. Although she said he was quiet he had a look on his face as if he were arrogant.                                                                                                                                               
Although they were brothers each of them had their own part to help out their village. It surprise that the woman or at least their mom so brave. Benson shares a story about how his mom (the third wife) fought the dad to protect the first wife. Even though there were many wives they all acted as a family in whole. Alfonso told story that was key to me because I think in the story it shows how he matured in age by finding his self with a monkey as in best friend and how quick life can change.                
 I am interested to see where they book will lead and to hear more stories from the other brother and cousin and to see how they live before and after the horror that happen to their village. The fact that they were separated for years and not knowing if each other were alive also grabbed my attention. I’m in fond to know how they found each other after being separated twice and the obstacles they had to overcome to come to the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment