Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Garys day 3 response


The way the author which would be the lost boys describe how they grew up and their families, I agree with but not completely.    

            The families of a tribe really act all as one, they make sure all the children eat together and that no one child eats alone, if he does he is considered to be rude or improper. The adult males usually hunt big animals, and all act as a family. I agree with this philosophy because together no one family can achieve everything but if they work all as one and as a tribe they conquer whatever obstacles.

            The females and wives do the cooking and watch the children I agree with this philosophy although, I think woman should have the right to do as they please. I think Sudan boys are brave young man as they have been taught by their fathers to be. I think that it is excellent that they become young man or more so learn much independence as young kids.

            It is hard for me to disagree with the families of this tribe because I understand from being in Africa how things work. They have a set of rules which is really more of a tradition than a set of rules that cannot and should not be broken. I understand where the boys and the tribe are coming from, but I would have to disagree on the fact that they make the children leave so at such an early age. I know at the age of five and seven I wouldn’t want to leave my mom, or go hunt down animals. Although looking up to my dad ( if I were in that tribe) and seeing him hunt down animals such as lions or hyenas, would also make me want to become a brave young man as well.

             The aspect to me that seems so important to the author so far is his parents and how strong of a bond the tribe as one had with each other. Although there was a certain part in the book that shared a story where Benson dad had to fight off a lion by his self because the other man didn’t not want to help him. When he did they all in a way praised him for his bravery.

             When I went to Africa I left all my feelings at home and became one with my people and at the age of seven which the same age as one of the lost boys, I didn’t not kill any animals but there was a point where my mom left for one day to go to Lagos and when she left I cried which reminds of the part of the story where one of the lost boys started crying day in and day out, because his mom had left, and he missed her a lot. So he stood by the river day in and day out with his sister crying out for her and hoping that one day she would come back as she promised. When she did come back he was so happy and ran into her arms with such joy. I felt the same way at such a young age, I felt like my mom was gone for a whole week. Early this year my mom and I talked about it and she told me she was only gone for one day and upon until that point from 7 – 18, I thought she was really gone for a week. So the feeling between the lost boy with his mom and my mom and I are somewhat mutual, every young kid needs the support of a loving mother.

1 comment:

  1. Lol I like how you mention that the females and wives dot he cooking :P

    ReplyDelete