Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Lost in Place: N'dea

          My reasoning for choosing to read the book Lost in Place was because of the interesting description that I was told about it. A teenage boy learning martial arts just sounds interesting.  My first thought of the book by its title screamed a middle aged man still searching for the love of his life with minimum wage paying job, but I was surprisingly shocked that it was a coming of age story about this confused kid, living in a small town in Connecticut.
          I like this kid’s enthusiasm and his point of views on life. He seems to see things differently from other kids his age, and even his parents. When he has something set in his brain, he puts his full 100 percent into it, and when he’s dedicated. He’s dedicated. From wanting to become an astronaut at the age of 11, to being convinced he was going to become the next great Kung Fu master. On the other hand his father, the one person that he really looks up to and validates his opinion more than anyone, is the total opposite. He sometimes comes off cold but in a way comforting, which makes this kid strive more to make him proud. The father is the only character I can’t really relate to, his frigid but warm presence isn’t what you would expect  from reading about this vibrant and excited kid, which is one of my dislikes about the book or more is so confusing part about it. From what I’ve read so far he seems disconnected from the text but the more I read I hope to find out his deal. For the most part the book is keeping me intrigued and wanting to read more about this kid and what’s next on his journey through his childhood.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment