Monday, July 30, 2012

Prized Memory - FCC




            In high school I was in a club called FCC (Fashion Cosmetology Club). A club that a couple friends and I started based off all of our interest in fashion and entertainment. While in the club I planned and directed events that were in relation to fashion. I also did the marketing, and acted as creative director for most of our events. I remember beginning to plan for our first event, which was our ‘Glitz, Glamour & Lovin’ It Premiere’. I was so nervous. Although I didn’t say it, in my mind I was like “why did I do this? Why am I here? What am I doing?” I was so stressed because I wasn’t sure if I really understood my responsibilities and what I was a part of. Since FCC was a club that my friends and I just started, I didn’t really have anyone coaching me on how to handle everything. There were a lot of tasks to complete, even things that I didn’t even know I would be in charge of. The date of the event ended up approaching and I just wished I had one more week. However, we pulled it together and as I watched from backstage and seen that first flashing light and heard that first beat of music I knew that my friends and I had created an amazing event. This is my most prized memory because we knew nothing about planning a fashion show, all we had was the vision. We really took a huge risk to start the club, and showcase the event to the entire school and public to see. For me it made taking risks a thrill for me. I always want to do something that I may not be the most comfortable with but still taking the chance on the idea.

                Last week when the other bridge students and I went to the fashion gallery it reminded me so much of the event that my friends and I had planned. Seeing all the fashions, and hearing the curator discuss how the fashion students had to come up with themes and how the space had to be planned out it just took me back to that moment. Just being in that room inspired me again and made me want to get together with my friends again and plan another event. Seeing the gallery made me put on that hat again as a director, while in the space I began to come up with ideas as if it were my space to plan. I can completely connect with the fashion the students and the director of the space. I can imagine how proud they must have felt to have been a part of something so great and being able to live out their passion and turn a dream into something that’s tangible. I know the feeling of being nervous, and no one understanding your vision like you understand it. In the end I know being a part of something like that must have given them so much satisfaction.
- Ryan Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment