Wednesday, July 25, 2012

The best family is....the Deng!


So far the author of the book “They Poured Fire on us From the Sky” represents family and their culture living in Sudan. I do agree on some parts of what they represent. Benson, who father has five wives is strange. That is unheard of in America. But to them, in Africa, that is normal. I wonder with the men and their five wives; why can’t the women have five husbands? I guess they can but that would be a different topic now wouldn’t it? Also I would like to the age of this whole marriage thing. Is it the same age as Miley Cuyrus? Or older? Because here in America, people are barley married for a long time. Also how do his dad mange five wives? Is that a religious thing or is his dad just selfish and want all the ladies in the village to himself? Whatever reason it is, ill like to know.

 I do like how they work together as a team. The wives do the inside work like cleaning and cooking. The boys do the outside work like hunting and protecting their land. I, however, could not work as hard as the ladies in Africa. I think I would be banned from the village because I can’t cook. Also cleaning is my strongest suit. I feel a good comparison where Alephosin went to go catch the goat for dinner and he didn’t succeed in doing so because he got distracted. Just like me, my mom tried teaching me to cook for a while but I get distracted. I’ll just wonder off and watch teen mom or go out and run errands. I just like the end results-EATING!

                I like the relationship the youngest boy has with his mom. I have the same one. If I see a spider or if there is a bad thunderstorm, I’ll run to my mom so can clam my nerves. The author did an awesome job with the relationships and representation of what family means to them. Love and teamwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment