Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Day 2 Question. Why did you choose this book? Sean Ross

 I choose the book take the cannoli by Sarah Vowell. I choose this book for one big reason, short stories. I find it much easier to read about short stories instead of one long book. The other books did not catch my interest that it would take for me to focus; especially if I am not into what the book is about. So I figured why not choose short stories because you cannot go wrong with sixteen short stories in one book right?

Well I did not think so; which is why I choose it in the first place. When I first opened the book I was expecting a different type of story that she would be telling. It is hard to have an exact feeling towards what I read because I found it very opinionated and a bit weird to choose as your first story in the book. She talks about how she and her father are so different and that she can’t stand guns but her father loves them. Sarah tries to get closer with her dad the older she gets by trying to take interest in his guns and cannon so she can spend more time with him. This kind of makes me think of how my dad and I’s relationship. We don’t exactly have the best relationship between us but it’s because we just don’t have much of the same interests that would make us be able to hold a conversation. Another thing that sticks out is how the family is split in politics; well I am in the same shoes has Sarah and her dad. My whole family is die hard republicans and at the moment,  I don’t exactly know what I am but I don’t agree with most of the Republican party decisions which would go back to Republican poster in the down stairs window while democrat in the upstairs window.
 ^ Sarah Vowell ^

I like how she goes into detail about certain things so you can imagine what is going on in your head while you are reading. But my opinion is maybe to start off with something a little softer because of how it is so edgy and the story is so strong from the start. Did I find it the most entertaining thing that I have read? No. but it kept my attention enough to keep on reading to find out what will happened next.
The next story does changes paths a little but is still about her growing up. She talks about music in her school and the competition rival she has with a boy who attends her school. Sarah writes choir music and is a great song lyric writer. The fact that she can write music is pretty amazing to me; for instance when I was in ninth through tenth grade I would always try to write music. Well let me tell you that trying to write a song or even just a verse is not easy at all. And as far as having competition in her school goes; talk about the story of my life. I did attend a performing arts school and why most people did get along and were friendly; everything was a secret competition of who would get what spot or just for the little things.
She encounters her first odd sexual experience when in the song she hears about “Walter, Walter, Walter”. By the end of the song the lyrics change into “Wendy, Wendy, Wendy”. Which is talking about transgendered people; back in the time and age that Sarah was, it was not widely talked about.Overall I enjoyed reading what I read; not the best book I have picked up but definitely keeps you interested to keep reading.

1 comment:

  1. Completely agree, though I'm not reading the book I already have a good idea on what it's about and it seems like you'll really enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete