Wednesday, July 25, 2012


Day prompt 3

                The way that Sarah represents family in the book is very old modest Christianity feeling. They believe god does everything for a reason. That everything that happens in life has a purpose. Even though they are very lose and excepting of one another Sarah’s parents will stick to the bible no matter what. They believe strongly in the bible, bible classes, bible studies, and anything that wasn’t in the bible wasn’t meant to be. She talks about how at age six is when they would have to start reading the bible and everything that had to do with god. The words Armageddon was the scariest thing she had known since the bible. Even though now she is an atheist, back then she use to pray to god every second and be cautious to not make him mad. Avoiding the thought of being left behind to depths of hell. She said that in time she out grew Armageddon and that she wasn’t going to use it as an excuse to make friends.  

                To be the same as Sarah’s family isn’t possible but we do share certain details. I am not a Christian but catholic. I do believe in god and have a very strong grasp on my religion. Though I am not studying the bible and all its wonders that it has to offer, I have my own ways of being close to god. Sarah’s parents believe that if it’s not in the bible than it is wrong. My family believes that everything is meant to be for a reason, and that is something we have in common. I think that my family would be more open to having more acceptance than Sarah’s family would. Sexual orientation is something we accept and have no issue with. The displaying of body image such as tattoos and piercings; body sculpting would not be an issue either. The thought of these things coming inside Sarah’s home would probably give their parents a heart attack.

                I went to catholic school and I was in bible classes. They were more open they had no limitation no ending either. I could ask questions and no one would try to throw holy water at me and say “you’re going to hell don’t you dare ask that” which has happened to me before. I would ask my parents many questions and they were not hesitant to answer. Our family views I would say we don’t have any I guess. I mean of course we may have some but when it comes down to it we are pretty chill and calm about everything and everyone. I like to think of my parents as total opposites from one another. My mom is the church going pink loving Jesus singing kind of gal. While my dad is the badass rocker dude who wears a lot of leather. Somehow they found each other and had five babies. It works my family is very open to each other and we have our own thing going for us. A lot of people who know us at times they do try to stir us towards another direction of “life” but it never happens. Once we say no as a whole it’s a no. what I think is the best part of reading this book is the support system that we actually share a great deal. As her father goes to her countless recitals and concerts my father goes to my countless variety of miscellaneous events. They torture themselves for us is what she says. The truth is that no matter what I chose to do in my life my parents will be there I know this because they tell me every day that I walk out that door.

               


No comments:

Post a Comment