Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day Three Prompt - Family


 
In ‘Take the Cannoli’; Sarah Vowell discusses family quite much thus far. She presents the concept of family in many different ways. One way family is presented family is, opinionated. She explains that every member in your family will have different interest, and have their ideas and opinions as individuals. At a point in the story she’s describing the relationship with her Dad. She explains the separation between her dad and herself, due to politics, and guns. Her dad has a fascination with guns that she never understood, and because guns were something that her dad loved so much and she not so much, that disconnected them. Vowell also describes how at times family members will be unable to have conversations with each other due to their mind individuality.

Based off my reading, I would say the author believes that family should have the right to do things on their own terms, and allowed to express their opinions even if it causes tension. I believe that Vowell is giving the message that sometimes you’re not always going to be very close with your family, and that’s ok. Everyone is different, even if they are family. The way one person thinks compared to another is completely different.
I agree with Vowell’s interpretation of family in the novel. I do believe that everyone should be their own person. As an individual you are able to think as you want, and you have the right to not share the same interest as someone else in your family. Her idea of family is definitely realistic. There are many ideas of what family is, and what it’s supposed to be. I agree with Vowell’s idea of individuality. In my family, we are all very different. At times we fight hard because we don’t always agree with each other’s opinions and/or decisions. I understand the disconnection between herself and her father, because my dad and I have a very distant relationship. My dad and I are very different. He loves sports and I’m not the biggest sports fan, and because he loves sports so much and I don’t, there’s definitely a disconnection there. He and I don’t see eye to eye on many things, which can make it hard to even have a conversation sometimes. We have such lack of interest in each other’s individuality that we have become content in our distant relationship, so I definitely understand Vowell’s perception of her family.

- Ryan Harper

2 comments:

  1. yeah i hate the feeling of being content on a bad thing! I hope you and your dad could talk.
    But I do like this blog.

    ReplyDelete