Thursday, July 26, 2012

Violence sucks.


I am a strong believer that our generation is responsible for change in the future. Whether it’s global warming, recycling, anti-bullying, or a better economic system we have a duty to motivate our future. People are often influenced by those who do justice to the world. Everyone wants to be a hero, and that’s a good thing. As the new batman movie “The Dark Knight Rises” came around, we coincidentally here of a tragedy that took place at the midnight premier in Aurora, Colorado.  To me, this story painted a black and white picture. Is this is what the world has come to? Being stripped of our freedom to enjoy a quality film all because of this seems unfair. We can’t even go to a movie without it being a movie itself. That leaves only one thing to do; promote change. Not just for our future, but within ourselves.
                        Violence has always been a severe and serious issue. From our early years as a child we often heard of crimes down the block living in Chicago. When I was 5 years old, a man held my father by gunpoint when we had just gotten in the car. Why you ask? Because we had something he wanted, our car radio. I had a lot of questions after that experience, especially “why?” I was only 5, but you don’t have to be an adult to realize that something cruel is going on around you. As I became older and entered high school, things were no different. People would pick on me and say really cruel things. Throughout my life I’ve heard a lot of “Sommer, why are you doing that,” and “Sommer you’ll never make it.” There was this one group of girls who began making my life a living hell by sophomore year. And believe me, I would get them back tenfold. But getting revenge never satisfied me. In fact, it made me angry that I would ever stoop to that level. After they had gotten kicked out of school for “planning my death” I realized that something needed to change in the school system.
word.
 Being a victim of bullying has made me want to make a difference. Everyone can make a difference by being a little nicer to everyone around you. If someone is sitting alone at lunch go sit by them! If you notice someone is feeling blue, try to cheer them up. A little niceness goes along way. We can all also make a change by avoiding social networking as much as possible. Reading a book, or hanging out with your friends is a better option than to sit and home and go on Tumblr and Facebook all day. Realize that actions hurt, and words maybe even more. Not only can we make a difference, but schools should make it priority to provide anti-bullying lectures to grade school and high school students. Informing these kids will make them realize how much change our world needs. Violence in schools is no different from violence in the streets. Violence is violence. In the future I would like to be a part of a group that goes out to high schools and talk to students myself and share my personal stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment