Monday, July 30, 2012

The Night Before Christmas


      I remember being 8 years old on Christmas Eve. In this little apartment on the south side of Chicago, it was all my mom could afford at the time. With my little sister asleep along with my mom and dad, I was sitting on the couch eager. A bright, poorly decorated, Christmas tree that I put up all by myself stood tall in the middle of my living room. I waited for this day, this was around the time when I still liked waking up in the middle of the night to open presents, now a days I wait until I wake up out of my slumber to open gifts. But, then again there was nothing to be eager about, because all I get now is socks, and pajamas. But, back to me sitting on the couch. I made a promise to myself that I was going to stay up the whole night until 12:00 o clock on the dot so I could open my presents. A few hours went by, and I was getting restless. From the boring old 80s shows I was watching on TV and from the lack of sleep. But, I was determined.

        Within a flash it was light outside, screams from my little sister, and the aroma of pancakes flooded the air. “I FELL ASLEEP!!!” I screamed so loud it felt like the whole house took a pause. I was no longer excited about the myriad of presents I had waiting for me to open under the Christmas tree; I was disappointed that I failed at accomplishing what I promised myself. This situation reminded me of the character in my book, Mark. The difference is that he accomplished his goal. When he saw something he went for and he was determined while doing it, of course he had a few bumps in the road, but that didn’t stop him. I on the other hand saw it, went for it, and failed but that little situation paved the way for many opportunities’ to prove to myself that I can do it. But, with a little cry and a talk from my parents I continued to enjoy the rest of my Christmas day.

No comments:

Post a Comment