Thursday, July 26, 2012

How I can change the World - Ryan Harper Prompt 4


Everyone has their impact on the world around us, whether they realize it or not. What I’ve been experiencing in Columbia’s bridge program has motivated me to get more involved in changing the world around us. Although my interests may not involve science or history, I was still inspired by both of the professors’ lectures on how we can take our own interest and use that to make a difference. I personally would like to get more involved with teenagers who are going through difficult internally. I want to let other know that they are not alone, and that there’s always someone who can relate to them. I think sometimes we try not to involve ourselves in others’ personally lives, which is understandable. However, I also believe that we need to pay more attention to signs and be more inviting to others when we see they’re facing tough times. Everyone can see a change in someone, but it starts with the people around you. I would like to reach out the families and counsel them on how they should attend to their love ones if they suspect there’s something wrong. I want to stress to parents that it’s important to be involved in their children’s lives. Sometimes just asking the right questions can tell you all the information you need to know, but we never know if we don’t ask. I believe teenagers need to stick together and be a helping hand to their peers. Bullying is still occurring and we all have to take it more seriously. I think an important thing to do that can address this issue would be to start creating closer communities again. One person can be responsible for everything. If a community can stand up and show concern as a whole, changes can definitely be made!
Changing the world can be done in many forms, but one thing I remember one of the professors saying is that she doesn’t involve herself in issues that she’s not passionate about. Making sure that teens know that they’re not alone and that they have someone they can always talk to is very important to me, and after being extremely inspired by the lectures that have occurred this week at Columbia’s bridge I’ve become even more motivated to stand up and make a change. I will definitely start doing more research on how I can become involved with other organizations to collaborate in making this change.

No comments:

Post a Comment