Thursday, July 26, 2012

How Can I Change The World?


How do I plan to change the world? That’s a tough question. We look at history and we see so many influential people who changed the world. People like Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Franklin, Delano Roosevelt, Einstein, Jackie Robinson etcetera just to name a few. So many people want to change the world but not many can make the kind of impact some of those individuals can. Most people changed the world everyday by helping to improve medicine, provide education for the young kids, and write about the truth within the newspaper. These are just some of the small things that people do every day to change the world’s future. I plan on changing the world through my writing and on TV as a broadcaster.

My way of changing the world would be through the media. I want to write columns about the truth and only the truth. It’s our right to use our freedom of speech as a way to get the truth out there and as a future member of the media I plan on sticking to that. Today’s media are known as cold-hearted journalist who will dog you to find out the truth and if they don’t, they write a bad column about you the next day. I want the truth to be spread and I will publish the truth no matter what I’m writing about because the public deserves to know what’s really going on. Isn’t that why the newspapers and companies exist today?

My way of changing the world begins in Columbia’s bridge program. Columbia tries to help you find out what your passion is and love what you do so you can make a change in the world. Bridge 2012 helps you begin that journey by sharpening up your skills you can be ready for school. Without education you can’t make a change in the world. If you’re not aware of what’s going on around you than how can you make a change. Well Bridge help’s you become more aware so you can be most successful in your passion while at Columbia. My passion has always been writing and sports. I want to become a broadcaster and make an imprint on other’s live through my words and expressions.

Once I begin to get deeper into my career as an influential broadcaster I’m hoping that I could be as well-known as a Walter Cronkite who was one of the most popular men in the media to have ever live. He brought the truth out during the Vietnam war about the Myline Massacre that had happen just after new year’s in January 1968 reporting and elaborating on all the devastating images that were taken during the event. Cronkite became such an influential figure that he was voted the most well liked person in the United States. Learning about Cronkite’s career and how he such an effect on people made me want to go into broadcasting and make a difference when it came to reporting the truth.

I bring those same values to sports reporting. So often we see news outlets scrutinizing certain athletes because of their history and often those outlets just want to sway public opinion on that person. Athletes often don’t have any defense because so often the public opinion of them is very low. I want to change that by being a person who reports the truth. I would most likely want to be like ESPN radio host, columnist, and co-anchor Stephen A. Smith because he is one of the few reporters who speak the truth about athletes even when other members at his own network criticize those people. I may not having an imprint on history like Gandhi or MLK had during their lives but I know I can change the world by standing firm and upholding the values of journalism which is to tell the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment