Monday, July 23, 2012

I'm a Dancer

 

My name is Jessica McCutcheon; I’m known as Jess and am quite the shopper, and as the happiest person ever (so say my friends.) Wisconsin is not my favorite state but it’s unfortunately where I live, in a little city outside of Milwaukee. I plan to major here at Columbia in Fashion Business, and also minor in Dance. I am that girl who says she wants to be famous, I mean who doesn’t? I laugh more than I should and at things that I shouldn’t, but I know how to have a good time and that primarily is all that really matters! My life consists of dancing, and I never really thought it would. At the age of 3 I started gymnastics and grew to become a very well trained gymnast. By around when I was nine years old, I became interested in dance and had no intentions but to just try it out for a year or so—little did I know it would change my life forever! I ended up quitting my gymnastics lifestyle, and strictly made dance my priority. I sit here today with now nine years of dancing experience, and a resume that seems to be completely unreal to even myself.
For about three years (2007-2010) I was part of Radio Disney’s Dance Crew; which gave me opportunities I never saw possible for me! I have been the opening performance for well-known Disney Artist’s like Raven Symone, Mitchell Musso, Jordan Sparks, and many more. I have had the chance to open for the Christmas in Ida Parade, and travel to multiple other cities with the Radio Disney crew and have met so many inspiring people.
I made a big decision to switch dance studios my junior year, and I have never made a better choice in my life. I have grown incredibly not only as a dancer but as an individual. I found myself through this change, by meeting new people and realizing I can do anything I set out to do. I had an implausible teacher, and she really was the one that made these last two years so amazing for me.
I received a platinum score and first place on my solo this year in April. As a team, we have received platinum’s and gold’s, and placed in all 8 of the dances I was part of this past year at all five competitions we traveled too. I recently was in Los Angeles for our Nationals and was selected among thousands in the country to audition for an award that works along with Lisa Estrada (coach of the ever famous Laker Girls) and got the opportunity to meet and learn more about the dancing life out in LA. I also was given another amazing opportunity, and that was a private audition with Stiletto Entertainment which is the performance company on numerous Cruise Lines! I was so honored to have experienced and been recognized for these incredible awards, I will take every second of those experiences with me for the rest of my life.
Dancing is truly my inspiration for everything I do, I put my heart and soul out there each time I step foot on that stage. You learn so much just by watching, and there can never be a moment where you hold back. When you dance, you need to be fearless, you need to just simply let go.  

12 comments:

  1. Opening for Disney thats cool! That must have been great meeting all of those celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how we both have a passion for dancing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's bad-ass! My friend from my hometown was on the last two seasons of SYTYCD and was a dancer with Nicki Minaj at the MTV Music awards last year! It's amazing that you get to meet all of those people. I quit dance years ago but I'm a SYTYCD nut and all of my friends and I would have SYTYCD nights every week. I'm very jealous of you being a dancer though! So fun and I bet you'll go really far!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats awesome! i cant believe that you have all this under you, this early in your life. dance seems like the most difficult thing, i know i cant. well looking forward to hearing more about your dance career see you round!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great! keep at it, I think any is possible with hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You should try out for "so you think you can dance"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats pretty cool that you are into dance and fashion, those two do kinda run together. Cool pictures

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have an amazing life style that fits you. That's crazy though Disney not many people get that chance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very cool and its amazing how many oppurtunities you've had. Its cool how you travel for compition because i also have done compition dancing. Also with you wanting to study in Fashion and Dance it would be really cool for you to put both studies together and as a project or maybe even manifest our senior year see a dancing fashion show.

    ReplyDelete
  11. did you get to meet those Disney stars too? thats pretty cool

    ReplyDelete