Monday, July 30, 2012

TIME & ART


This weekend when I was thinking to myself about this saying, I don’t know why it stuck to me, but it did. I like to think that I put a lot of art in my time, because acting is only a piece. I think my art is entertainment. At my graduation, our class president went up to the podium to tell her speech on how she viewed our class. In the speech she pointed out a couple people and I was one of them. She said that, actually labeled me as an entertainer. When she said that, I think she made a great point to a lot of people. Although I got kicked out of our school plays, somehow she was able to see that I was still an entertainer. The art of acting just doesn’t come on the stage, it takes practice, and every moment is a chance. That moment when she said my name the crowd started laughing, that’s how I knew my job was accomplished at East. In my head my whole high school career in the drama section was a failure, but not in the halls of our schools. Which let me know just because I didn’t shine in a little area, doesn’t mean I didn’t shine at all.

The statement of me being an entertainer is what I like to take to now, instead of just acting. Everything I do, every second I am trying to entertain, rather it me righting a paper to entertain the teacher, or just me being myself. I like to be the entertainment, but taken seriously, because it is my art. How much art I put in my time, starts out new every time I meet someone. It’s almost like a natural thing to me, but it wasn’t until someone else really pointed out what type of art I was doing that I really noticed. Not just acting but entertaining, being able to keep your attention as well as another person that I know nothing about and still be able to connect with you, because of some way you find me funny but more so entertaining.

When I think about how far my entertaining goes, I think that it started on the corner of Broadway in New York. I was seven years old, and I asked my mom would she buy me a top hat and a cane. She did, and in minutes I was outside on the corner dancing with my cane and top hat. That night within the first two minutes I made two dollars. My mom always talks to me about this story but it’s not till now that I really see how far that story goes. The age of seven I thought I was confident enough to stand on the corner of Broadway alone and dance and entertain. The only thing that comes to mind now is how ambitious I was and still am.

The quote “ It’s not about how time you put in your art, it’s about how much art you put in your time” can go any direction and I think speaks to everyone to inspire them to do as much as they can in their time.

No comments:

Post a Comment