Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Sarah Vowell: Take the Cannoli


       I’m going to be honest about why I choose this book to read. It look smaller than the other books and it’s summary of the book that Professor Smith told us was more interesting and comedy then the one about Sudanese men travel from their homeland to the US by foot with detailing description of struggles and how they overcome them. The 2nd book was more of a joke to me because they like watch karate movies and seen people in the act of martial arts performance; decided to just wake up and say “I want to learn Karate!” I didn’t take the book serious. I guess it’s because I didn’t see the purpose of them written that book. Sarah Vowell book was the only book that seems more like me and she is very sarcastic which I like about her book because I’m a sarcastic person and I like to be funny all the time. Take the Cannoli so far is about her past and how she grew up in a Bozeman house in Montana with her twin sister and parents.
      

           Vowell reminds me of myself and I think that’s the reason why I really like this book is because I can connect to her and what she was felt at the moment with her father. They both were the same, both they really didn’t get alone with each other because they were alike. I’m the same when it comes to my relationship with my father; we disagree on me getting my eyebrow piercing and my tongue pierce. I also disagree with him about me going to prom. He told me to go on prom because it’ll be the best experience in my high school career, and once in a lifetime opportunity chance to go. 


  

     The first short story title is called, “Shooting Dad”! For a minute I thought “wow, she must not like her dad to the point that she shot him!” As I continue to read the story and at the end it explains the title. She didn’t shot her father; he was a gunsmith for living and was passionate about fixing and creating guns. He made his own replica of a cannon called the Big Horn Gun in front of Bozeman’s Pioneer Museum where she grew up at.  When he died he told Sarah that he wanted his ashes to be launch out of a cannon on an opening day of hunting season. 

   I'm looking forward to reading the rest Take the Cannoli to see if we have more in common in her past life.

No comments:

Post a Comment