Monday, July 30, 2012

Stop Waisting Time

“It’s not about how much time you put into your art, it’s about how much art you put into your time”


           I define this in numerous ways; but if I had to portray it as one meaning I would say that life is about creating yourself, and doing what you love without any hesitation. The art world is in every industry you can think of, an artist is every human being, whether or not one is creative or artistic; we all represent a form of individuality, and that is simply what art is. Isn’t it? We wake up every morning and have a room that we have personally decorated or arranged which shows the basics in our unique styles. When we pick out our clothes for the day, we’re telling the world how we are feeling. Every little thing from making your bed to putting on your shoes represents art in a form we never really think about.

 So how come we are constantly told that the harder you work the better you’ll be? Because it’s true; the more you do something the stronger you’ll become in whatever it is you’re working at. But the problem is that we are so stressed and worried on our precious time, that we no longer can enjoy doing what we love when we’re put on a time frame. As a dancer, I am always told to go home and practice even after a five hour rehearsal because the more time I put into it the better I’ll be. But is that really how I interpret it? Dancing is my passion, so it shouldn’t matter on the amount of hours I have of rehearsal, or how many times a week I practice; what shows my desire and commitment to dance is how much I grow each week from putting dance into my life and doing what I love as much as possible. Whenever I am at a convention or competition, I can always point the ones who would rather be shopping than in class with these phenomenal, inspirational, beyond incredible choreographers, just by their determination to having been just the first ones to go and get the combination over with. They live their life with their “passion” being work, and thinking that practice makes perfect; these types of people portray a sense of perfectionism in their dancing, even when it’s just supposed to be fun and being yourself. They’re putting their time into what they consider art; I feel as if the more dancing I do without needing to be perfect, outshines most dancers by having true passion in what I create. I guess we all have different approaches towards everything we do in life, but what matters most is making yourself stronger through your art and not through working at it, but by doing it without holding back. When you question your own art style, you’re spending time on the thing that you should love.

So if everything is art, how come school and work are so hard to not put “time” into? I can understand why we all dislike school and work; because it’s simply something none of us love doing. But the more it takes up our “time” the more enhanced we become at it whether we reflect that or not in what we do with it. At the end of the day; your art and your style is always going to be your own—it just shouldn’t matter about what the clock says, it’s about doing what keeps you on your feet and knowing it’s what you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment