Thursday, August 2, 2012

Choreograph Your Life

Normally you think of choreography as something you see performed by dancers on a stage, not so much of your daily life. Dancing is my art and it choreographs my decisions in my life every single day. Every time you’re in a new level or school or new area your life has the same choreography every week and day. In elementary school your choreography was to wake up at seven am and take the school bus to school and go to the same teacher for the full day, and when you go home you do home, have dinner, and go to sleep. Then the choreographer is bored with watching the same piece of choreography day after day, year after year, so you change it up when you move on to middle school.

Now being more mature and going through changes your choreography steps up the difficulty because you have mastered your basics. Having new skills to learn and having to practice them every day to make sure you as the dancer in the choreography, do not mess up the dance. Taking on a bigger homework load and having more after school activities, your choreography starts to look a mess. Having done this brand new choreography for two years, you have advanced greatly and move on to the next level.

Welcome to high school, one of the most intense and emotional choreographies of your life. High school is a contemporary dance that explains the sadness and emotion of how high school will make you go through a whole new perspective on life. You almost become a zombie in the way of being controlled, because in high school you get into a pattern of doing the same schedule daily or adding more onto the plate that is already full. Waking up every morning to get ready for a seven am dance class, at a high school that isn’t your own.  After dance every single morning, I would go to a normal high school for my core classes. After school I would always go home take a nap, wake up do homework and then head out to Irish dance. Every summer I worked at a water park called the water mine for three summers in arrow now leaving for college I didn’t go back which took a huge part of my choreography out of my piece. This was my choreography for four years of my life, and it was all about to change.

I decided to go to Columbia Chicago for college and am currently in the bridge program. Moving from a suburb of Washington DC in Northern Virginia, moving 12 hours away is a drastic change in choreography. It’s like changing your entire dance from classical ballet to jazz funk. The move has changed my choreography by not having the help of my superiors anymore because I am left her on my own.  Having to figure everything out on your own with no help is a bit of a struggle when you are used to always having your assistant choreographers to help you build your piece. Now my choreography is building strength to become fantastic and brilliant because the bridge is building up my skill to create masterpiece choreography.

No comments:

Post a Comment