Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Brad and Caitlynn


Today I’d like to take the opportunity to write a letter of thanks to Brad and Caitlynn.  For the record Brad, this does not count against my free write opportunity because this has to do with bridge. J

                I would like to thank Brad and Caitlynn for many things they have done to help us in the bridge program. We started the first day of bridge given our classroom and teacher assignments not knowing what to expect from the teachers or the program. As the students gathered we began to acquaint ourselves with one another conversing about how we’d think our teachers would be. Most thought that we were going to have those two teachers who were cool like ones we had in high school but those teachers worked us to death. Some students not named Evan thought we were going to have meant ones that were going to work us to death. When Caitlynn first opened the door to the computer labs and started talking to us and being nice, it was the first realization that we really were not in high school anymore. We finally made it the majors, college. Were in the minors preparing for our stint in the majors but this was our preparation and these were our coaches.

                Brad and Caitlynn have been nothing but nice and easy to talk to teachers that we had all hoped for the minute we stepped into the building. I want to start off by thanking Caitlynn. Caitlynn has been with us all day, every day through lectures and museum field trips giving us insight, helping us to think deeper, and get us ready for classes at Columbia. Caitlynn is a Columbia professor so she knows how classes usually are. Most of the time we may not be having discussions in the park but there is that occasional class outside which is what makes Columbia different from other places. Caitlynn also helps us on our homework and proofreading it. She helps us identify our mistakes and improve on our writing so it’s better in our future assignments. She has really helped me improve a lot since the beginning of the program. I notice a lot less comma mistakes and other grammar mistakes in my writing. Her writing background makes it easier to learn from as opposed to some of my English teachers in high school. Caitlynn has made a big impression on me but so has Brad.

                Brad has been a big help in helping us improve in the classroom as students. Even though these last few days we have been rowdy I can see an improvement in myself as a student. Brad starting early in the morning gets us to make connections using our previous lecture or museum trips and what we learned from them. When it is time to do workshops as a class he encourages us to take notes and list positives and negatives of their essays. Why we liked them, why we did not, what we think they should improve on. Brad also comments on our essay and provides good feedback in class and also when he returns our papers the next class day during the workshops. Along with caitlynn’s tutoring sessions his comments help me improve my writing and go deeper into the subject. Brad and Caitlynn is a good teacher combo for our class in bridge.

                Both teachers have made a big change in me as a student and how I conduct myself as a Columbia student. As a Columbia student learning occurs more than just in the classroom but also around us when we’re walking on campus or doing some activity were learning. They have helped us realize our potential and want us to keep going even when there is nothing else more to accomplish. So this is thank you. According to OASIS I might have Caitlynn’s class in the fall. I hope I have her class because she is a great teacher and so is Brad. Thank you from not just me but from everyone else in our class, even the ones who did not make it with us to the fourth week they appreciate your effort and so do I.


No comments:

Post a Comment