Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Meet me in Montauk


 IF YOU KNOW WHAT MY TITLE IS FROM: COMMENT BELOW! :)

                                As the last day of bridge is quickly arriving, I want to take some time to reflect about my experience here so far.  I came here with an open mind, but unsure about the future. I was terrified of being kicked out because I had heard it was extremely challenging. The first day I walked into a room full of students who were here for the same reason I was. All the seats were taken, and I was immediately reminded of my freshman year of high school.
My beautiful mommy <3
                                When we were split into individual classes I felt a lot more confident about how I would succeed here at bridge. All of my class mates were very supportive of each other and all wanted to get into Columbia just as bad as I did. The writing assignments we would get every night opened my eyes to a lot of things. I began to appreciate all of my opportunities, and I went home the first week and thanked my parents. Not for just helping me pay my college, but for believing in me.
                                I have few people in my life that have always believed in me with everything I do. The one person that has never let me down is my mother. She has always supported me through my acting career, and through my struggles in high school. Just yesterday morning, I was bragging to her about Columbia, and how perfect it is for me. She didn’t say much during the conversation, but a few minutes later she looked at me, smiled and said “You’re going to do great in college, Sommer.” At that very moment I was so proud of myself. I knew that I couldn’t have succeeded without failure.
                                My experience here has been tremendously rewarding. I was lucky enough to have amazing teachers; Brad and Caitlynn. It was refreshing to have teachers who actually care about their students in college. I felt comfortable right way because they each reminded me of two very influential teachers I had in high school. Bridge has warmed me up for college, and I feel that my writing class in college won’t be as difficult because of this program. I have also learned that I am in DESPERATE need to get organized.
                                I have met the greatest people here.  These are the type of people that you see in the halls and won’t hesitate to say hi, or give a hug to. I know that some people here will be my friends throughout college. In a lot of ways I feel more fortunate than people who did not need to go through bridge. I have gained knowledge about Columbia, and am very aware of the campus. I am prepared to be a student, and I am prepared to go beyond expectations. 

2 comments: