Monday, August 13, 2012

These Four Weeks


These past four weeks have flown by, it seems like yesterday I was just moving into to meet my new roommate and fellow classmates.  My experience at the 2012 Summer Bridge program at Columbia College Chicago has been quite a bumpy one. The first day things seemed a little over whelming as I previously knew the whole program is based off of English, but little did I know we would have to write an essay every night for homework. During my high school educational life I never turned in my essays at all or on time, so having one every night for home work was a challenge enough for me.
In the long run, the essays really helped because it shows you that doing an essay last minute is not okay. And it makes you realize how to manage your time better so instead of just finishing your essay to turn it in, you can proof read and correct the paper as well. My writing has grown tremendously while being here in the bridge program, because I use to just write and never go into detail or analysis, but now that has all changed thanks to Brad and Caitlynn. I have also learned things about myself such as, I can write a better essay once I wake up and take my ADHD pills, than if I were to stay up late doing it.  Mostly because I have just taken my pills that enable me to focus and complete tasks more efficiently than at midnight when my pills are long gone worn off.
I had three essays that sand out to me and was my favorite to write. First is the role model paper, because the second I heard it was someone you could not personally know, I knew exactly who I was going to choose and it was the easiest thing I have ever had to write. Second favorite topic to write about would have to be about culture, nothing is better than writing about your back ground and who you are. Being able to share your culture with everyone is all anyone can do, you just don’t always realize it and this paper made me open my eyes to my culture and realize more about myself than I really knew. Third of all would have to education history, no one in the room knows your educational history besides you. And I have been fortunate enough to have those teachers in my life who adore me and have always supported me, which is why they still stand out to me.
So overall, the bridge program did prepare me for college; it changed my writing, and made me a better writer along my journey alone in the big windy city.

No comments:

Post a Comment