Thursday, August 16, 2012

See You Later


Since July 23rd when we all stepped into this classroom, we’ve all changed immensely. From being strangers who had no idea if they would end up passing this program to friends and foes that are now sitting here on August 18th, ready for the fall semester. It’s a small, but crucial chapter of my life I’ll always remember because it truly has been a literal stepping stone that’s made us all prove ourselves. We’ve wrote numerous papers, read a novel and are now about to present our artistic interpretations and it will be us saying goodbye to bridge, and hello to Columbia College Chicago.
                As I saw people slacking off, and getting removed from the program, I constantly thought I would be the next to go. I was convinced that everything my previous teachers had said was true, and that I was a smart young lady but I was lazy and not driven, or that I just didn’t care enough to pass. But as I’m writing this, I want to be able to look back on it one day and remember everything, because although I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to make it, that fear was my main driving force. I knew that this was my chance and if I didn’t take it, than I would be disappointing not only myself, but the few people who have believed in me.
                My mom called me this morning and to tell the truth, I don’t think she’s ever sounded so proud of me. It makes me want to cry because for the first time in my life, I truly stuck to my word in telling her that I would be able to do this and that I would make her proud of me. Every other time I’ve said that, it always seemed to fall apart. I can’t express the feeling I have knowing that this is the first day, of the rest of my life in so many ways.
                I strongly believe a class is only as good as the teacher it has, and in this case we have two who have made it possible for us to thrive and succeed in this program. Brad and Caitlin made sure we had an environment that was more than four walls and dry-erase board, but we formed a community and a bond that has made our work seem less like work, and more like an experience. Not one day during this past month have I woken up and wanted to lie back in bed all day or dreaded the thought of going to class. That’s NEVER happened before.  Although today I do feel very sick and kind of wish I had some hot tea.
               
 Tonight when my roommates and I pack up our dorms and say our goodbyes, I’m going to cry like a baby and it doesn’t help that my sinuses are congested like a mo-fo. But I really can’t believe it’s already over. It seems like just yesterday we moved in and got settled. When I go home, I’m going to be bored out of my skull. I cannot wait to be back on the 24th and moving into my apartment at the Dwight, and reunited with my two new best friends, Red and Panda. If it weren’t for the bridge program, I would have never met them and they’ve already changed my life.
                All in all… I think the only thing left is to say thank you. To everyone and anyone who had any part in this journey I’ve been on. And even though it seems like a “goodbye”, it’s really just a “see you later”.

No comments:

Post a Comment