Monday, August 6, 2012

#ProjectBridge


What is the most daring thing I have ever done? I have done so much in my eighteen years of living. I have done a lot of cliche things that some high school kids are portrayed as doing in movies. I used to think the most daring thing I’d ever do was sneak out my house to a party or throw a random party while my parents were out of town. Sorry mom. I also use to think experimenting with smoking or drinking would be the top thing on my list. Once again I am sorry mom. The most daring things I have done has to be mostly everything I mentioned above and others. I had a crazy experience the beginning of my senior year which started with me not being able to leave my house.

The weekend before homecoming I got into trouble for blowing curfew the previous weekend and my parents restricted me from car access and leaving the house. I did not settle for that decision. I ultimately snuck out of the house around 11:30 and proceeded to this party down the street from my house.  At the party it was kind of like a Project X type party even though this occured way before the movie came out. There were a lot of people and a lot going on. I was having a great time chilling with my friends and this girl I met at the party. Ultimately around 12:30 the cops came to shut it down. Some people had alcohol bottles and beer cans and the cops were making arrest. Soon other squad cars were called and everyone began running out of the backyard and hopping fences. The police began their pursuit of those people and everyone else started running. I ran away from a cop trying to hold me and a friend for something we did not do. The cop chased me with their squad car five blocks. I was very much near my house and decided to cut through the alley to get to my house. I thought the squad car would find me hiding in my backyard when they saw me run in it. They knocked on the door and my parents came to the door. I got into the house took off all my clothes and ran upstairs. The cop did not suspect it was me and began speeding down the street. My dad in disgust went back to bed and I immediately started watching TV. I considered that one of the greatest nights of my life. Although that is very high on my list and a great experience in my life the most daring thing I’ve done has to be coming to Columbia and doing bridge.

Even though I only live a half hour away coming to Columbia is not an easy transition. When I learned that I had to enroll in bridge to be admitted to Columbia I thought of taking the easy way out. The easy way out would have been to just enroll in community college or force myself to try and transfer into Eastern Illinois after the fall semester. I thought the bridge program were for people who were not that smart. When I got here I quickly realize that that was not the case. Bridge is a crash course for college. It is about what we will be learning and the type of classes that we will be taking during college and how the classes will function. I knew this was a risk I had to take, my pride, my ego, and what I thought about how others view me should not stop me from realizing the most important things in my life and my dreams. Coming to bridge has been a challenge. It has made me get serious about my life and how I need to approach things from now on. Even though I have lived only for a short while this is definitely the most daring thing I have ever done.


No comments:

Post a Comment