Wednesday, August 8, 2012




During these past few weeks there have been things that I’ve enjoyed and things that I’ve disliked. From lectures and in class discussions to tours and trips around Chicago, I have learned  so much including things about art and the amazing people that make up Columbia College. There are so many experiences that have fit their way into my life in such a small amount of time giving me a preview of what Columbia has to offer me.

Not previously knowing what to expect from a big lecture, I had a few nervous thoughts about sitting down and listening to someone talk for so long. Surprisingly, there have been three lectures that I have enjoyed while being here. There was one lecture about ecology and marine biology that I really enjoyed. She was interactive with the entire student audience and had us playing a small hippie like game, which I wasn’t crazy about. All in all, she educated us and that was the biggest thing I got from the lecture. She taught us about the bite right card which I found interesting and she also mentioned something about the shark fin soup which I had no idea about the bite right was about food you can eat that doesn’t continue the extinction process. The shark fin soup is a long Asian tradition that’s causing the extinction of shark. The second lecture was simple but effective. He was a dance teacher, very happy and exuberant with his lecture. He kept the audiences attentions with small video clips and very active movement. He also asked for a lot of feedback to keep everyone involved. The third lecture I really liked, probably the most was the business one. Now I’m horrible with numbers, but it seemed to me that she really cared and connected with us future students. She added personal detail about her life and how she moved from one college to Columbia. She also gave us a lot of good advice as well as encouraging us toward what we believe in. this one made me proud to be going to a school like Columbia.

There weren’t many but there still were some things that I really didn’t enjoy. There was one speech about zombies where the teacher just seemed to be enjoying what he was talking about more than the audience. He was being too personal, and wasn’t that interesting. The very first lecture that we had wasn’t very interesting either, although it was nice to hear about her cause, it just made me feel like I was a bad person for m=not giving up me time to go and play with clay.

Im sure there are going to be many things in college that I am going to like and dislike. The bridge program has opened up my view of what Columbia has in store for me and I am looking forward to the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment