Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Inspiration


 Sitting through lecture after lecture that personally does nothing but put my mind to sleep, is a struggle I think we all have to face. The fact that the topics don’t relate to the type of personalities and passions we all hold, is what really makes us least interested in what the professor in the front of the room has to say.

When it comes to our lecture days, I think we can all agree we take them as a challenge; it is testing us to see how well our attention can be kept—regardless if we’re actually into what they’re saying or not. My trick to keeping myself in tune in each lecture is sketching, doodling, and writing down every other word the professor says. In the end, I always have a good understanding of the point and lesson they were trying to get across to us students; but it probably is just understood in my own personal way versus their intention.

Ultimately, I take away a lot from these lectures and even though I can never find a spark of interest in every one of them; I walk out of there with a filled mind of creativity. Not because I just sat and doodled for an entire hour, but because of the main lecture; by having each professor fill us all in on their passion and educate us on more than what we’re used to being lectured on, swarms our thoughts without us realizing and makes us want to someday be up there doing what they’re doing but only talking about what we love. Doing what we love is why we all are here in this bridge program to attend Columbia because Columbia is all about doing what you love, and the professors’ have evidently shined that their lives are filled with success by doing what they love!

I think what it all comes down to with all our lectures we’ve sat through, is knowing that if they can achieve their dreams and live the life they’ve imagined living; then we can do just the same with a little determination, and alertness in everything regardless if we like it or not. Experiences in things outside your norm, does nothing but open more doors for yourself to be even better in the thing that you love to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment