Tuesday, August 7, 2012

First Impressions





First impressions are important. Most people often use first impressions as a way of judging them to see if they are worthy of your trust. First impressions are used every day when you meet new people, talk to that cute girl, meet a family member you have never met and even when your seeking employment. We as people often use first impressions when we taste food, watch a new movie or TV show, books, pens, video games, clothes etc. I myself have two different first impressions that I leave on a specific audience. I always leave that “he’s weird and cool at the same time. That is just Evan” types of impression on my friends as so many have told me. When it comes to employers, adults I am just meeting, and most teachers I try to leave that hard worker/ trustworthy person type impression. When I address new people in general I try to make them leave my presence with a smile on my face knowing that I’m a nice guy. Mark from Lost in Place has left impressions on everyone around him that he is a weird kid with interest in astronomy and Chinese calligraphy. Most teenagers his age just thought he was a dork. Some adults liked his weird personality and others did not. His parents had mixed feelings about what he did during his adolescence. Mark accepted the impressions he made on people and like myself felt good by how they remembered him by.

I always smile a lot. I try to leave a happy impression no matter who it around. When I’m around girls, I like to leave a smooth, cool guy, I’m worthy of your digits type of impression. Most times that works, maybe 8 out of 10. When I meet new friends or friend of friends I try to leave a good guy, trustworthy, funny type impression which I do a lot. Always with adults I leave a serious and nice impression letting them know that I’m a good guy but I am also here on business and to accomplish something. I want most people to remember me by my goofy smile and how nice I was. Sometimes I turn people off which is cool because you cannot conform to what everyone wants you to be. Most times I realized now that a lot of people Adults and people my age have a lot of respect for me. Sadly this is not the case for mark.

Mark leaves a weird impression. He leaves a nice guy impression like I do but also a weird one. Mark interest aren’t what were people into at his time and even still today most people have not gotten into what Mark liked. Mark had a taste for the Cello (when he wanted to play it) Asian calligraphy, and the Chinese culture. Although Mark was a nice guy, based on his interest most people thought he was a weirdo. All Mark really cared about was being remembered as the kid who left Ridgefield to go do big things. He wanted to come back once he accomplished something extraordinary in his life and not follow the status quo.

When I first came to bridge, I first came here expecting the program to be twenty page research papers and test and even worse... MATH! When I walked into the check-in I did not know what to expect. I had a lot of questions that were answered when I walked into the classroom and met my professors and classmates. The first day left a good impression on me. I feel like I made a connection with everybody I talked to which is important and I thought I made a good first impression. To do anything in life you have to be able to believe and trust that it will work. That is why first impressions are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment