Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"If there is no wind, row."


“If there is no wind, row.”
            
Latin Proverb


            Just like most everyone else in this room, I have a Facebook. Lately, I’ve been posting new photos and statuses of my new life I’m embarking on here in Chicago. Within the past week, I’ve been getting comments from individuals who I’d regarded as being civil with. I don’t really like people to begin with, but I maintain a happy-medium with almost everyone from back home that I know. The comments they left were put in negative connotations. And I’m starting to realize more and more that another person’s success is only valued by others when there is a sense of equality in accomplishments.
            From being in Bridge, I’ve learned to be humble. The first day of class I remember getting judge, and being discriminated by my peers because of what clothes I wore, how I did my hair or my tattoos & piercings. Although I’m completely used to these looks and whispers, it was when after we started writing our papers and reading them to the class that I truly felt a connection and realized we’re not competing in the Bridge Program. We’re all in the same boat, and by making friends with these people, I’ve had a much smoother journey than if we hadn’t all connected with one-another.
           
            There’s a bond that the Bridge students will always have. We were the ones that were given a chance that most of us have never been offered before. This school believed in us for some reason and saw that we have more to us than a GPA or an ACT score. We sit in this room and can look around and see the epitome of passion, hope and drive. We’ve filled these class rooms, lecture halls and museums with the curiosity and sincerity of truly wanted to make a difference in our lives and to dedicate ourselves to learning.
           
            I had no plans for my future. I had been saying that I wanted to move to Chicago and go to art school since I was 10. I’ve not always been sociable, and it’s been a struggle for me to tear away my introvert padded walls and not be afraid. It was the moment I realized that I’m the longest relationship I’ll ever have, and if I didn’t learn to love myself than I could never move forward with my life. After actually applying to Columbia though, I never thought I’d even get a response. I thought they’d lose my application, or forget to send the rejection. But I received and Bridge 2012 Program email and my heart rose higher than a hot air balloon. It hit me, I’m on my way.
            Even after orientation, and enrolling and my mom dropping me off at my first college dorm room, I never really thought I’d make it through. I’ve always been a procrastinator and a complete mess. I feel like my life is one of those quirky romantic comedies where there’s a really clumsy and awkward female lead but she always gets the most handsome, perfect man in the end. Yeah well… in real life none of that actually happens besides the clumsy and awkward parts. But when I received the Bridge email, I felt like maybe my story won’t have a handsome man in it to sweep me off my feet, but I felt like getting this chance to attend Columbia was so much better than that.
           
            We were given this chance. We weren’t handed an acceptance letter though, we worked our asses off every day here. I know I have. My mom never thought I’d even graduate high school and after dropping out of community college twice, I think she thought coming here and paying for a dorm was a waste of $2500. But I did it. I did it for me, and for her to be proud of me. I did it so that my brothers can look up to me and see me as a role model, and not the lazy ass I’ve always been. I did this so I could prove my biological father wrong, and shove it in his face that where he failed in accomplishing his dreams, I never let his abuse get to me, and I succeeded without any help from that family at all.
            The past 4 weeks have been incredible. I’ve loved every minute of it. I feel like I’m truly ready to attend Columbia College Chicago this fall. And I can’t wait to see where my future will take me. I've made two of the best friends I could ever ask for and I cannot wait to be back here on the 24th and ready to embark on the my first year as a Columbia student.
                

No comments:

Post a Comment