Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Why?


             One of the first things I (and many other students) thought when we heard about today’s blog post was why do we have to do a 300 word post on whatever we want. I had always thought that these blog posts were challenging our minds and creative thinking skills. But when we have the option to write about whatever we want, where’s the challenge in that? I am not training my brain to work hard on a topic. But they more I thought about it, the more I realized how hard it was to actually write about whatever I want.  It sounds easy enough, but it makes you think who cares? I might be talking about something that my audience could care less about. It might be easier to write once the ball is moving, but it is hard to figure out what people want to hear. This assignment was created so we can feel the pressure of having to make up something entirely on our own, and be able to work with it. It also challenges not only your creative skills but your critical writing skills.
     
       I had always considered myself a somewhat decent writer. Ever since I was a little kid, I never minded writing papers for my classes. The papers I hated doing were research papers, mostly because all of the work you had to put into it and citing your sources. I just liked to talk about things I knew or my favorites were making up stories for my English class. But this blog post today was a different kind of open post. Sure, it can be about anything, but it must have some kind of point. I thought this was dumb because we are supposed to be challenging ourselves, but writing about why this assignment had to happen show me the point in it. That although something may look easy or dumb, there is always a greater point behind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment