Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Columbia Bridge Inspiration!


My Biggest Inspiration in Bridge – Professor Shanita Akintonde

While everything I’ve done in bridge has been amazing for me, I found the biggest inspiration is the marketing lecture. I just knew I would love that lecture from the moment I heard we were having it. I remember waking up that morning being so excited and feeling like I was meant to come to bridge and that I was so lucky to have a lecture targeting my specific major. I felt like it was so amazing to be able to get an intro to what I’ll be studying the next four years. 
          Professor Akintonde was an incredible person; her energy was felt through the entire room. Listening to her story was an eye opener for me. All of the things she talked about were 110% true. I felt like she tailored that lecture for me. Out of all of the lectures I feel that none of them had as much purpose as Professor Akintonde’s. She spoke from both an experience and logical standpoint. She connected all of us to marketing in ways that some probably didn’t understand. I like when she talked about creating your personal brand. That made me think about the person I’ve tried to be growing up. I always wanted to others to respect me and remember me for just being myself. She made so much since of how others think with the “what’s in it for me” concept (w.i.i.f.m.). That made so much sense because that is how most people think. That concept is something I know I will always keep with me as I go through my career. One of the things she said that really touched my heart was to “aspire to greatness without fear.” When she said that, wow, my whole life must’ve just made sense at that moment. All of a sudden I felt more confident in myself and the choices I was making in my life. I then put her 5th rule (aspire to greatness without fear) and her 6th rule (believe in yourself) together. I let go of all the fear I had in my heart about the next 4 years and just choose to believe in myself.

In a personal Thank You to Professor Akintonde:
I want to say how much I enjoyed your presentation. Your energy was truely felt throughout the entire room. Other than my Mom I have never met such an amazing, strong, intelligent woman. It was so inspiring to see you take my major and turn it into something that everyone could relate to. I felt like it was meant for me to see hear you speak, I do not take it lightly that I have had the opportunity to meet someone like you! You clearly are an amazing person and you obviously deserve all of your blessings and success. I hope see you more sometime thorughout my years here at Columbia!
Thanks so much!
- Ryan Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment